Homemade Chicken + Veggie Soup
It’s been a while since I’ve added a recipe over here. Mainly because I don’t do a WHOLE lot of exciting cooking at home these days. I’ve taken a liking to the quick and easy salmon with veggies, but I’ve sort of become a bit mundane when it comes to switching it up. But with the seasons on the brink of changing; and a gloomy, torrential downpour yesterday, I felt the need to whip up some simply comfort food to keep us cozy.
I called my mama, who is an amazing chef by nature, but typically has some foolproof recipes for yours truly. She gave me some basic steps and guidelines and I whipped up this super simple and delicious chicken and veggie soup. I chose what looked good to me, but you can really add whatever fresh veggies you have on hand.
I can’t say it was cold yesterday, but the dark skies and rained begged for something just like this. And it will be perfect for the coming fall nights.
chicken and veggie soup
2 boxes Chicken Stock
1 bunch fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
1/2 yellow squash, cubed
1/2 zucchini, cubed
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced carrots
1 whole roasted chicken - I buy mine fully cooked- remove all meet and coarsely chop
About 8 cloves of garlic- to taste
1 28 oz can San Marzano peeled tomatoes
Salt and Pepper
Sauté celery, onions and carrots with garlic cloves in olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until onions are translucent, about 15 minutes.
2. Pour chicken stock in a pot. Add cubed zucchini, squash, tomatoes and spinach.
3. Add celery, onions, carrots and garlic.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Bring to a boil. Then cook on low for about an hour.
6. Stir occasionally and gently mash tomatoes and garlic with spoon.
7. Add sliced chicken to soup roughly 30 minutes before serving.
8. Enjoy with bread or top with parmesan cheese.